Lockdown Sauna Deprivation

 

<a href='https://www.freepik.com/photos/beauty'>Beauty photo created by gpointstudio - www.freepik.com</a>


I've never owned my own sauna - I don't live in Finland, it's normal there, but not in the Netherlands. In my country most sauna fans will simply visit what we call a "saunabedrijf" - in English you might call it a spa, with several different sauna rooms, one or more steam rooms, several baths and pools, a restaurant and lounge, and other facilities. The advantage is obvious: you could never have all that at home, if you're not rich.

But there's a disadvantage as well, which has become glaringly obvious due to the COVID-19 pandemic: it's a public facility. And public facilities get closed during lockdowns. And even when restrictions are eased or lifted, and officially you can visit them again, it doesn't necessarily mean that it's safe to do so.

So ... I haven't been in a sauna in over a year. And I'm feeling sauna-deprived!

The health and relaxation advantages were always so obvious, that not going makes missing them all too clear.

I follow sauna users and sauna fan groups on social media, and I've been very jealous of the ones with private saunas for a long time now.

Someone I'm following on Instagram is building his own sauna. I'd love to do that! But there's a snag. I have two left hands! Not good at DIY at all, to put it mildly.

The man I'm following on Instagram says it's easy, but what I see him do, I don't see myself do.

Maybe, since I'm clearly not going on holiday this year, I can see how far my holiday allowance can get me. We'll see... 

Reacties

Een reactie posten

Populaire posts van deze blog

My Favourite Thing to Do in a Sauna

How I Became a Sauna Fan